Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tornado 5/24/2011

I can't think of a more clever title for this blog post.  Yesterday was extremely scary for me.  I have spent my whole life in Texas, minus 3 years in Oklahoma (which have more tornadoes than Texas), and tornadoes still scare the living daylights out of me.  More so now because I have a Mini to take care of.  Last night, around 7:45 pm, Kathryn was sleeping, James was watching American Idol, and I was painting my nails.  All of a sudden, AI was interupted by Fox 4 for bad weather.  No bueno.  For you non-American Idol watchers, that is a huge deal.  It is the top watched TV show, and to interupt the final 2 performances, is major.  James and I went outside (along with the rest of the neighborhood) to check out the sky.  It was a very surreal moment- the sky was a green/yellow (major bad sign for tornado), the clouds were moving quickly, and the wind had slowed down.  I was headed back inside when the sirens started to go off.  I have never moved so fast in my life.  I ran into K's room, swooped her up, and headed straight for our bathroom.  Of course, along the way, I grabbed my Louie Vuitton, MacBook, and iPad :) (don't judge me).  The dogs were herded in the bathroom with us and we waited.  James, of course, had to stay in the room and look outside, ocassionally even going outside.  Men, I tell you.  We even lost power for about 10 minutes which really scared me.  No power meant no news, and on top of that it was getting dark outside making tornado spotting even more difficult.  I have never prayed so hard and so fast in my life.  After a few close calls (the news reported tornado touchdowns all over DFW, one in particular on 183 near our house), we were safe.  Now we just had to worry about the baseball/soft ball sized hail damage that had occurred.  Luckily hubs' truck was just fine.  Weather looks good for the next week or so (I never thought I would be so happy to see sunny and 90 degrees in the forecast), but I'm sure this is just the beginning of more storms to come.  If you are from another part of the country, say a prayer for all us Tornado Alley people for the next couple of months!

P.S.  I told hubs I want a storm shelter built in our backyard.  Like, today.  :)


Mini was pretty content watching Dora on "her" iPad during the storm


Won't all the tornadoes just go away?


I have all my precious items with me in the tub.  (Kershaw and hubs were in the bathroom, people ;) )


No comments:

Post a Comment