Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Working Mom

I honestly can't believe I'm writing this.  But this is my blog and a place where I can write and no one can say anything about it, right?

Lately I have seen a lot of posts on social networks from stay at home moms who go on and on about how wonderful they have it and how lucky they are to stay at home with their children, and how they can't imagine having to work and put their kids in daycare.  This is so annoying frustrating for me, being the working mom that I am, to read that kind of crap stuff.  Every mom, working or staying at home, is doing the best for her family.  I am an example of that.

My parents paid for my undergraduate AND graduate school.  You're damn straight I am going to use that education and make a career for myself (which I am doing)!  I would be lying if I said that when I was younger I thought about staying at home and raising kids like my mom did.  Well, reality set in, I grew up, and I found that I liked working.  I cannot sit at home and do nothing cook and clean.  I got married, had my sweet baby girl, and prepared myself to put her in daycare.  My wonderful parents decided 6 weeks into her life that that just wasn't going to happen, and my mom would help out and watch her.  So here I am, able to go back to work, and Mini doesn't have to go to daycare.  OUTSTANDING.  I know how lucky/blessed I am, and I have never had a second thought about the safety and well-being of my child while I am gone.

There is something about having a life outside of Mini that is healthy and just seems right.  I love getting up, putting on nice clothes and doing my makeup, and being around grown ups.  During my pregnancy leave I think I wore sweats 95% of the time.  Eww. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the weekends or getting off work early every now and then, but I am very happy going to work.  On top of that, Mini has a very close relationship with her dad and grandma. You can't beat that.  It just irks me so bad when people judge working women, like they aren't doing the best for their children.  I chose to work, because our family income is over doubled, I can pay for my daughter's college education, I can shop, go out to dinner, and just do things that we want to do.  You always want to provide more for your kids than you were given.  Well, my life was pretty damn perfect, thanks to the most amazing parents ever.  They worked their butts off to give my sisters and I a perfect childhood.  Kathryn may not grow up in Southlake, but she will most definitely grow up healthy, happy, loved, and provided for.  She's going to start violin lessons when she's 3, take dance class, play sports, and anything else her little heart desires.  Eventually, but the time she is 3, we will put her in a pre-school to prepare her for Kindergarten.  She is going to be ready to take on the world, all while I work.   Shocking, huh?  A working woman who is happy.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone in this post.  Maybe no one will read this and it doesn't matter.  I just had to get this off my chest.  I never thought blogging could be so therapeutic... :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you work and feel that you are an amazing mother. I sure do love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it MinisMommy is my sweet hubs logged in to my computer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I definitely plan to continue working once we have children - I can't stand the thought of not continuing to invest in myself outside my kids, and feel like if I stayed at home I would focus so much attention on them that I would lose that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know there are other moms and soon to be moms out there like me :)

    ReplyDelete